Sunday, September 27, 2009

Frustrated Tiger Woods Still Second Placed in The Tour Championship Even After Victory in FedEx Cup Fectched $10 Million


Tiger Woods earned a cool $10 million by clinching the season-long race for the FedEx Cup on Sunday but was frustrated he had to settle for second place in the Tour Championship behind fellow American Phil Mickelson.

World number one Woods led Mickelson by two shots going into the final round at East Lake before being outscored by his fellow American to the tune of five strokes.

"I'm a little disappointed I didn't win the Championship because I was right there," Woods told reporters after his closing 70 was trumped by Mickelson's flawless five-under-par 65.

"I'm sure I will be happier tomorrow than I am right now because you're in the moment, trying to win this event.

"Winning takes care of everything. I'm trying to beat Phil, he's trying to beat me. Phil played well. He did the things he needed to do this week. Phil ran off and got away from us."

Woods was two over for the day before collecting his first birdie at the par-five 15th. Another followed at the 16th where he rammed in a 34-footer but it was too little too late.

"I hit the ball well enough to make a few more birdies," the 14-times major winner said. "I just didn't make any putts this week from about 10 to 20 feet. I missed a lot of putts."

It was the second time in its short three-year lifetime that Woods had landed FedExCup honors.

DOUBLE CELEBRATION

However on that first occasion in 2007 he was able to celebrate doubly as he also romped to victory by a staggering eight shots in the Tour Championship.

"That felt a little bit better than it did today," he said with a smile.

"But to win the FedExCup and to be as consistent as I have been all year is something that I'm very proud of.

"There was so many unknowns at the beginning of the season, and to play as consistently as I have, I think it's nine top-twos this year, I certainly wouldn't have expected that."

Woods returned to the PGA Tour in late February after being sidelined for eight months while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery.

Although he failed to win any of the four majors, he piled up six victories on the competitive U.S. circuit, along with three runner-up finishes.

"I'm very proud of that, how I've played this year, and definitely toward the end of the season," the 33-year-old said.

"To be as consistent as I was day-in and day-out, it's not easy to do. But certainly I've had a few things going my way. You make a few putts here and there, you turn tides.

"I hit the ball really well at pretty much every event and I really managed my game well.

"That's something that I've gotten so much better at."


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something else ... Search below:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic