Monday, January 18, 2010

Playing Against One of The Best Sides, Like Australia, at Their Homegrounds Never Been An Easy Task - - Younus Khan Defended Muhammad Yousuf


Former Pakistan Captain and Senior batsman Younus Khan has come out in support of under-fire current Pakistan skipper Muhammed Yousuf, saying playing against Australia in their own den is no mean task.

Pakistan were blanked 0-3 by Australia in the Test series which concluded yesterday with their crushing 241-run defeat in Hobart.

Criticism flowed in from all sides following the heavy defeat as several former players railed the team for their spineless show.

“I think the board should continue with him. People are criticizing him but I think a tour to Australia is tough for any captain and all teams tend to turn defensive while playing in Australia,” he said before leaving for Australia to join the team for the one-day series.

Yousuf had requested the national selectors and cricket Board to send Younus to Australia to bolster the batting in the Test series but his appeal was turned down.

Younus said he was looking forward to playing for the country again and but he was not interested in leading the side.

“I don’t think I will ever accept the captaincy again. It brings too much pressure on you and it was affecting my form.

I just want to enjoy my remaining years in international cricket as a senior batsman and try to contribute as much as I can to the team,” he said.

The 32-year old player had pulled out of Pakistan’s Test tour to New Zealand last November insisting he needed a break from international cricket.

“I am a senior batsman and I need to contribute as much as I can to the team as a batsman. I have not lost my passion for the game and I will definitely enjoy my return to the team in Australia. I am carrying no extra pressure with me to Australia,” he said.

Younus, 32, who has played 63 tests and 197 one-day internationals said he would support the present captain Yousuf, who he felt could do a good job for Pakistan.

“I have no problem playing under him. I respect him. He is a senior player.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something else ... Search below:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic