Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Few More Years of International Cricket Left in Me” - - Reclaimed Fast Bowler Shoaib Akhtar

Pakistan's controversial fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has not given up hopes of returning into the international arena and reiterated that he still has few more years of international cricket left in him.


Akhtar, had a fiery spell of straight four overs for playing Islamabad Leopards in the Pakistan National Twenty20 Cup but never daunted the opponent[Faisalabad] seriously, conceded 21 runs with the only success in his first furious over to dismissed Mohammad Hafeez for duck; a delivery that nipped in to dislodged batsman's timber.

Akhtar, 34, who has not been included in the Pakistan's preliminary 30-man squad for the ICC World Twenty20 Championship. “I was surprised that I was not included in the list of probables because if you look at Brett Lee he has been having fitness issues for last few months and has not played yet he is in the Australian preliminary squad,” said Akhtar.

The fast bowler has not played for Pakistan since April-May, 2009 due to fitness and disciplinary issues and also underwent a knee surgery last year. “I know what I am capable of and I have not given up hope on myself and I will fight back into the team because I have few more years of international cricket left in me.”

The Pakistan Cricket Board has justified not picking Shoaib Akhtar in preliminary squad by pointing out that he has hardly played any cricket since last May when he played against Australia in Duabi.

"How can we select him? We can't pick him on the basis of few domestic matches. We don't know how fit he is!" the PCB chairman Ijaz Butt said in response.

The temperamental pacer – who has set a world record by achieving a 161.3 kilometres (100.2 mph) bowling speed twice, underwent a knee operation in England last year in June- July. “It takes time to get back into full form after a knee operation but I am doing well and I am getting back into my top form. I know I can get back into the team and prove my critics wrong. I have set targets in mind for a comeback,” he said.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something else ... Search below:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic