Tuesday, May 25, 2010

French Open 2010: Round 1 - - Winning Return for Justin Henin to Roland Garros; Straight Sets Victory Against Tsvetana Pironkova


PARIS - Justin Henin beat Tsvetana Pironkova 6-4, 6-3, also in the first round. The match was Henin's first on centre court at Roland Garros since 2007, when she won the tournament for the fourth time.

"I didn't know really what to expect and how I was going to deal with my emotions," the Belgian said. "As I walked in and I was into my match, I felt a lot of things were coming back. It was just fantastic to share this again with the crowd, as they gave me one more time great support. So it was very good to be back."

Henin rejoined the tour in January after a 20-month retirement, and, although she is seeded 22, she is considered one of the favourites for the title. "She has all of the chances to win this tournament," said Pironkova, who had played – and lost to – Henin three times before. "She still plays great. I don't think she lost [anything] with that rest that she had. I think she is playing even better. She's faster, and her strokes are more secure."

Henin endured some ragged moments in the second set, when Pironkova won three consecutive games for a 3-2 lead. The Belgian then took 10 points in a row to regain control and, after another wobble serving at 4-3, she took the final six points. "I didn't serve really good in that match, that's for sure," Henin said. "First round is never easy. So I'm just happy I came through."

Henin hit picturesque backhands, nifty drop shots and booming overhead smashes – all staples in a repertoire that has helped her win seven grand slam titles. But she missed more than half of her first serves and blew a handful of easy putaways.

"I've worked pretty hard in the last few months, but the way [ahead] is still very long," she said. "I'm probably less consistent now than I was in terms of keeping the intensity all the time. That's what I'm working on at the moment."

Despite the inconsistent play, Henin extended her winning streak at Roland Garros to 22 consecutive matches and 37 straight sets. She hasn't lost at the French Open since 2004.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something else ... Search below:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic