Monday, November 9, 2009

Swiss Indoor Final - - Novak Djokovic Humbles Top-ranked Roger Federer At Home

BASEL,Switzerland – Top-ranked Roger Federer lost his hometown tournament on Sunday, falling 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 to Novak Djokovic in the Swiss Indoors final.

Djokovic earned his fourth tournament win of the season with a victory that ended Federer’s run of three straight titles at the event.

“It’s disappointing to lose at home in the finals, no doubt,” Federer said. “I thought I missed plenty of opportunities. I’m not looking for excuses. He played tough and he played well when he had to, and saved a ton of break points that were crucial.”

Djokovic improved to 3-2 this year against Federer, who he called the best tennis player.

“I have to produce something special to win,” Djokovic said at sold-out St. Jakobshalle. “I think I played one of the best matches of the year.”

The second-seeded Serb clinched the first set by saving five break points in a game that lasted 24 minutes.

“It may be the longest I have ever played in my life,” Djokovic said. “It was maybe the turning point in the whole match. I was fortunate to keep my nerves.”

Federer fought back from a break down to win the second set and rouse his partisan fans.

Djokovic raced to a 4-0 lead in the decider, and closed out the victory after Federer wasted three break points in the sixth game.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something else ... Search below:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic