Thursday, November 26, 2009

2nd Test: India vs. Sri Lanka - - India Cruising Towards a Dashing Victory Over Sri Lanka

Sree Santh took six wickets as India closed in on victory over Sri Lanka on day three of the second Test in Kanpur.

Sri Lanka started the day on 66-1 in reply to India's 642 but were dismissed for 229 in their first innings and were 57-4 at the close, still 356 behind.

Fast bowler Santh, playing his first Test in 19 months, took 5-75 in the first innings and added another wicket in the second innings as India thrived.

Key duo Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara were out just before stumps.

Santh, bowling with pace and swing on an otherwise slow pitch, dismissed both Tharanga Paranavitana (38) and skipper Sangakkara (44) as he grabbed three quick wickets when play resumed in the morning.

With fellow paceman Zaheer Khan struggling, the 26-year-old followed that up with two more after lunch to secure his second five-wicket Test haul on his return after 18 months out through injury.

"To be very honest I never thought I will play for India again.

"This is the same ground where I played my last Test and it is so good to start here all over again," he said.

"I have promised myself that I will keep doing my things right and focus only on what I am supposed to do."

Santh thanked former South Africa fast bowler Allan Donald for working with him during a spell with English county side Warwickshire and making him "a little more professional".

He added: "Before I used to get irritated easily. But I kept my patience today. I told myself that I will get the wickets if I keep bowling in the right areas.

"I am enjoying bowling fast again, which is very important."

He was well supported by spinners Harbhajan Singh and debutant Pragyan Ojha, who took two wickets each to help end Sri Lanka's first innings just after tea.

That left India 413 runs ahead and having enforced the follow-on, Santh removed opener Tillakaratne Dilshan for 11 with a deadly outswinger.

Any Sri Lankan hopes of salvaging a draw were dashed after Paranavitana, Mahela Jayawardene and Sangakkara also fell cheaply.

Paranavitana was trapped lbw by Virender Sehwag while Jayawardene was run out and Sangakkara inside-edged onto his stumps off Harbhajan.

India, having drawn the first match of the three-Test series, will expect to wrap up victory on day four at the Green Park stadium on Friday.

Thilan Samaraweera was unbeaten on one while Angelo Mathews was on two when play ended five overs before the scheduled close because of bad light.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something else ... Search below:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic